MENU
Filed under Features, News

Upcoming election: Are the political tides turning in the House?

Use Your Voice

Use Your Voice

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






With the election coming up just next week, there is a lot of talk about seat projections in the House of Representatives and the Senate. Because there are so many more Democrats up for reelection in the Senate, there is substantial evidence to claim that it will remain a Republican majority this year. However, the discussion becomes more interesting when focused to the House of Representatives. Currently, the House is dominated by Republicans, who makeup up 235 seats compared to the Democrats’ 193. While these numbers make it hard to imagine a possible flip, reliable websites that forecast elections, such as Five Thirty Eight, have in fact projected a Democrat majority in the House of Representatives. Currently, Democrats have an 85.8% chance of winning the House, whereas Republicans only have a 14.2% chance of retaining their majority. Some may ask, how could this be?

As I have observed politics the last few years and have also gathered information from people who have kept politically up to date before my time, it is evident that governmental power is constantly changing. As one Party takes over Congress and possibly the presidency, the political pendulum often times swings back in the other direction to balance the power out. While this theoretical system is obviously not legislative or related to checks and balances by any means, what this shows is that the general public truly does have a voice as far as politics go. We, the citizens of this country, are the ones who elect the people we choose to represent our government. When people become complacent in their lives and choose not to vote, that is when the political tides change, as the more motivated are the first to put their opinions on the ballot. As there is discussion of the House of Representatives flipping, the reason for this could simply be due to the more motivated party coming out to vote. In this instance, Democrats essentially have the most to gain in a Republican dominated government, so they will in fact vote to take some of that power away. The same can be said for Republicans in previous years, as both the Executive and Legislative branches were Democrat dominant just four years ago.

Today, because of the severe political controversy that exists, we can assume that there will be a very large turnout at the polls. While elections, especially midterms, are oftentimes dismissed by many, the political tension in this day and age will spark a voter turnout from people who have previously chosen not to vote in the past. Because of this, it can be said that this will be one of the most important midterm elections in recent memory.

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Navigate Left
  • Upcoming election: Are the political tides turning in the House?

    Entertainment

    LGBTQ+ Representation in the Film Industry

  • Upcoming election: Are the political tides turning in the House?

    Features

    Combat Procrastination with Productivity

  • Upcoming election: Are the political tides turning in the House?

    Opinion

    A Insight to the Message Portrayed by Rick and Morty

  • Upcoming election: Are the political tides turning in the House?

    Entertainment

    LGBTQ+ Representation in the Film Industry

  • Video

    Girls Cross Country Introduction Video

Navigate Right
The Student News Site of Scotts Valley High School
Upcoming election: Are the political tides turning in the House?